The Archdiocese of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania was established in 1916 as a missionary diocese to reach out to the scattered sheep of our Lord in Western Pennsylvania, to proclaim to the faith of the Apostles and bring them to the light of Truth. Our Archdiocese has been blessed by God to have had the holy honor of St. Patriarch Tikhon, the Holy Hierarch Raphael and the martyred Priest Vasily Martyz serve within her midst. The Archdiocese has been established through their holy efforts, and those of the hierarchs, reverend clergy and faithful laity over the years.
Specific themes to be explored include generating dialogue to “find the center” in parish discussions; envisioning a bright future through a sense of purpose, directionand prioritized action; inspiring stewardship by replacing begging and continual pleas with generosity and gratitude; communicating a positive parish identity and overcoming insularity by stimulating ministry.
Glory to Jesus Christ!
1. Attached is the 2017 Annual Report Form for each to parish to report to His Eminence concerning the current parish official census plus metrical information from 2016 … the completed form may be scanned and returned electronically to me at this email or sent to my attention via the postal service to the chancery (P.O. Box 1769, Cranberry Twp., PA 16066-1769). February 27 is the deadline to return this completed form.
(Reminder - as approved at the 2016 Archdiocesan Assembly, this new reported census number does not affect the monthly assessment payment that remains the same (unchanged) amount as 2016.)
[NOTE: Parishes currently without parish priests should contact their local dean concerning the completion of that parish’s form to be done with the dean’s assistance since all diocesan parishes are expected to submit this info.]
2. Attached is the 2017 Parish Information Form for each parish to complete within 30 days after the parish’s 2017 Annual Parish Meeting has been held. It may be returned electronically or sent via the postal service to me. Each parish is reminded to also include: 1) annual parish meeting minutes; 2) annual financial report(s); 3) written pastoral report (if done by the rector). [As above, parishes without an assigned priest should work with their local dean to have this form completed as fully as is possible and sent.]
3. The annual report form concerning parish compliance with the OCA/Archdiocese of Pgh and W PA sexual abuse prevention policy will be mailed soon.
4. The deadline to submit an article for the next edition of The Light of Orthodoxy diocesan publication is February 14. Information should be sent electronically directly to the editor, Igumen Patrick Carpenter. (His email address is in the masthead above.)
5. Dates for Dr. Christopher Veniamin (St. Tikhon’s Seminary) to present RETREATS IN OUR DIOCESE have been finalized … His Eminence expects all the clergy to attend unless he receives a specific request to be absent for “just cause:”
* Clergy retreat - Friday, June 9 (Morning through early afternoon)
* Clergy and laity retreat - Saturday, June 10 (Morning through early afternoon)
Location(s) and further information will be forthcoming … please save the date on your calendar in the meantime!
6. The Small Parishes Conference will be hosted by our St. John the Baptist Parish (New Kensington) this year - July 13 - July 15. Financial assistance will be available for any of the smaller parishes needing assistance … His Eminence expects representatives from each small parish to be present - especially since this year’s conference will be within the boundaries of our diocese. Please contact Joe Kormos (or me) privately for more information. (Joe’s email is in the masthead above.) Please save the dates!
With the blessing of His Grace, Bishop MELCHISEDEK, St. Cyril of White Lake Food Pantry has opened at Holy Assumption of St. Mary Orthodox Church, 105 S. 19th St. Pittsburgh, PA. The Food Pantry is open on Thursdays from 5:45pm to 6:45pm, and as needed by appointment to meet the needs of the poor and homeless of the City of Pittsburgh.
For more information, please visit the St. Cyril of White Lake Food Pantry Page