Questions for Parish Discussion
As your parish begins its discussion about how to participate in the Shine! Shine! Initaitive consider there questions:
- Of the focus areas suggested below (education;sharing faith; welcoming) which area would be most beneficial for us to focus on to establish a bright(er) parish future?
- What is our parish good at? Can we become “great” at what we’re “good” at?
Education/Growing in Faith
- What are the benefits of a deeper understanding of what it means to be an Orthodox Christian?
- What questions am I asked by friends about our faith? Am I satisfied with my answers?
- Is reading or attending classes the only way to grow in our faith? What other methods/approaches can help our parish to grow in faith?
Sharing Our Faith
- How do we as a parish communicate who we are and what we stand for? Can we improve this?
- Do our neighbors know that they are welcome in our church? Or, are we seen only as a source of ethnic food?
- Do we invite friends, relatives and neighbors to church?
- How many guests visited our parish in the last (e.g.) 6 months? Was that more or less than the previous period?
- What do we think they were looking for? How would they evaluate that? Did they return?
- What are the experiences of a visitor to our parish?
- Is our parish welcoming and friendly? In what ways yes? No? What conversational approaches can we learn for welcoming inquirers?
- Do we effectively help new parishioners to find a role that fits their gifts and talents?